Sunday 17 July 2011

Not Just A Fan In July




David Millar's book 'Racing Through The Dark' is one of the best cycling books I've read.  It's pretty compelling stuff and he is a rare breed within todays modern peloton: honest and intelligent.


I was attracted to Phil Southerland's book, 'Not Deal Yet' as he is the founder of Team Type 1, a diabetic orientated Pro cycling team.  Being a type 1 diabetic myself as well as a road cyclist, I hoped it would offer some interesting and useful insights on the disease from a cycling perspective.  I wouldn't describe it as a bad read but it was very flat in parts and I'd often find myself struggling to get to the end of a chapter.  I did gain some useful training tips on how to keep my blood sugar levels tightly controlled before, during and after riding, and reinforced the importance of keeping on top of my diabetes in general.